Wednesday, May 5, 2010

getting to know you

i met someone new today. we talked for a while, getting to know the basics: name, where you're from, major, family info.
but right after we discussed these things, his next question was: "so what's your favorite movie?" followed soon after by the question "what kind of music do you like?"

this got me thinking about how much the media we expose ourselves to can say about a us. if it wasn't such telling information, these questions would not be so high on the "getting to know you" question list. right?

it also got me thinking about how difficult these questions are for me to answer. i'm not sure i have a favorite movie. i like most movies that i see. so when asked what my favorite movie is, i usually just refer to the last movie i watched. using this strategy, my favorite movie right now is "Confessions of a Shopaholic."
one word: hilarious. the dancing scene is probably my favorite. and i do a pretty great imitation of it too. just sayin.

as for favorite music. that is probably an even harder question for me to answer because i usually just let my friends decide what i like. i give them my ipod, they fill it up with their favorite songs, and pretty soon those songs become my favorites too. it's a pretty good system, i think. it introduces me to music that i would never just pick out to listen to but i find out later that i actually really like.

exhibit a: i was running today with my ipod on shuffle. a techno song came on. i thought i hated techno music. i was wrong. turns out, techno is great running music. who would've guessed it? not me.


*if you don't like techno, please don't judge.

5 comments:

  1. I think media has become SUCH a big part of our lives, that may be part of the problem with choosing favorites, there's just too many possibilities. I have the same problem. I have so many movies and songs I like, but no favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I always say, "My favorite movie is Under the Same Moon. ... And Paris When it Sizzles ... and Breakfast at Tiffany's. Any Audrey Hepburn, actually. Oh and the Madagascars."
    Sometimes I continue on. As I list, I keep thinking of others I liked. There are so many categories of movies that can't be compared. Like how could I compare 'The Official Story' to 'Dora Christmas Special'? I can't. So I have to list a favorite (or more) from each category.

    And I'm really sad I just deleted all the techno from my computer without even giving it a chance while I ran.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know it's bad when the conversation then turns into "So...do you have a facebook?" I've gotten that several times and find it to be very weird. It makes me wonder what people from ancient generations asked each other when they met new people...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree--with everything. I usually have to ask people to pick a genre for me to pick a favorite out of (comedy, action, scary, etc.) and even then, I still list 2 or 3. But I don't think I could ever go a day without quoting a movie, TV show, or song....
    "It's scented body lotion!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, I hate techno music, but we can still be friends! :)

    ReplyDelete