Monday, June 7, 2010

letter assignment.

To Whom It May Concern:
I am an avid book reader. I love all different genres and I am always reading new things. I do not like reading what everyone else is reading though. For example, I have never opened Twilight or The Hunger Games. This has created a problem for me, however, because I have found myself opening books lately that I have to close just minutes later because of inappropriate content. Because I do not read the popular books, I am not able to consult with previous readers about the content of books. I do not think this should be necessarily, though. I think I should be able to read a book without discussing it first with a previous reader. One simple solution to this problem would be requiring book ratings, similar to movie ratings, for all books available in public libraries.
These ratings do not have to necessarily have age limitations like movie ratings. If they simply indicated levels of profanity, sexual content, violent content, etc. with level markings such as low, medium, and high, I believe this would make everyone’s library searches more enjoyable. They would also reduce the number of returned books for readers like me, or the occasional page ripping that accompanies my reading of inappropriate content.
I find it strange that ratings are required for movies and even video games, but books have somehow escaped the system. I think it is time that books received the same attention that other forms of media have. Reading books can have just as big of an impact, either positive or negative, on a reader as viewing a movie. For these reasons, I believe requiring book ratings is reasonable and should be implemented as soon as possible.
Thank you for your time,
Amy

1 comment:

  1. That's actually a pretty brilliant idea, Ames...I like it. That's why I use goodreads, so I know what books are like before reading them.

    ReplyDelete